Friday 8 June 2012

Day 6 Paisley to Fort William - Best Day Yet

Today didn't start too well for me. I wasn't able to eat much and breakfast and when we started to cycle my legs felt like they were asleep.
Crossing the Erskine Bridge proved a minor challenge when the north bound cycle path was closed. We had to follow a diversion to get onto the other side. This meant negotiating the SS Galaxy up and down kerbs, round a fence and round a tight bend... We ended up in a bush- quite funny.
Next stop Tarbet along a very busy dual carriage way ( one of the disadvantages of doing LEJOG in 8 days) I don't think that helped my mental state!
At Tarbet when we were ready the captain decided to get going before the others as there were a lot if hills coming up and they would catch us. We were struggling slowly up hill and I had been saying to the captain ' my legs feel rubbish today' when we saw a minibus full of fellow teachers, from the school I teach at, on their way to Scafell Pike having done Ben Nevis that cheered me up- Go team Ranelagh. I then got my phone out. To check the time and saw a tweet cheering us on from one of my ex students another boost to keep going. 5 miles later we met my mum and dad another boost and our reason why we're raising money for cancer research - I know my dad wouldnt have had the treatment hes had in the past year without them- so it was great to see them. As the others hadn't caught us we stopped and waited for them. About 10 mins later they arrived and we all set off together for Bridge of Orchy. Ourselves and Dave and my parents had lunch here while Nik and Peter decided to push on as they wanted to get some medical supplies . Half an hour later we set off on the last 42 miles of the day. Challenge to finish by 5 pm. The ride through Glencoe was amazing some long slow ascents and some very fast long descents reaching speeds of 42 mph!
We arrive at our bed and breakfast at 5 03 pm. I said this was our best day.... It did not feel like that at 830am this morning but at 5 pm it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment