Saturday 2 June 2012

Day 1- a tale of traffic, punctures and rain

Woke up to very bright sunshine which made me very excited given that I haven't actually cycled in much good weather this year- all good. Even my legs have recovered from my Fitbox antics earlier in the week- so Paul you're safe!

Bikes loaded onto the car ready for the trip from Okehampton to Lands End. We're told we can have breakfast- great news ! - given we were told we wouldn't get any before 830 when we arrived the previous night.

So we eat breakfast and get into the car and set off. Weather still good. About 10 miles from Okehampton we hit a traffic jam - oh oh turns out to be a jackknifed caravan but that is just the start of traffic problems. We eventually arrive at lands end about 11. Which means by the time we take the bikes off and put wheels back on the bikes it's 1130. We go to find the signpost and get photos and then set off- its 1145 and that is at least an hour late!!! I can sense the captain is not happy and a bit edgy. The weather is warm though and dry - a nice day for a cycle.
Ready for the off
The view 
Sorting the puncture on the A30




















Cycling continues with little to report until Marco gets a puncture on the A30.... I can't watch as he is standing very close to the actual road and the traffic is going very fast. I have visions of someone getting hit by traffic. I feel the need to put my Health and Safety hat on and with my teacher voice instruct Marco to stay away from the white line.







We start off again and make good headway when.... BANG we get a puncture on SS galaxy. There's a traffic jam on the opposite carriageway so we amuse some of the drivers sorting it.
The Cornish Coast
Soon we are on our way again but are last. We know that our support vehicle is only a few miles away so try to get there quickly as we've lost time and are getting worried about how far we have to go. The weather has changed -  a bit windier, cloudy and a bit of rain.
We all meet up- we have 30 miles to go- its 6pm and the captain is worried about the light and the distance to go.
We decide that if people want to go on at their own pace then it's ok. The captain sets a fine pace and we are steaming!! It's then that the rain and the wind start...
The last 30 miles sees some very long hills with strong gusts of wind, hail and heavy rain. Ourselves and Nik get back to hotel just after 8. VERY wet!! Marco , Peter and Dave arrive about 20 mins later just as wet.
It has been a long day, longer than we would have wished for but we've done it and are looking forward to tomorrow.


I for one was glad to be on the tandem today... The A30 is a dual carriage way and is the road we used all day. It wasn't what was planned but because of the late start it was the easiest. I know if I'd been on my own bike I would have hated it. Off to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment